Thursday, April 24, 2008

6th Grade Literature Circles

Overall, I liked the process of the literature circle discussions with the discussion board. I think the kids felt like it was a more authentic discussion, and enjoyed discussing the book with someone new. I did notice a few things I'd like to see done differently, and would like to participate again next year with a new group of students.

First, I learned through trial and error that I have to take the kids to the computer lab and be willing to give up some class time to do it. I thought originally that I could make it work by having them use the two computers I have in the room, but they're much slower typists than I anticipated, and the discussions they had with their group about the way to do things needed to take place with them at a computer so that they could see how the discussion board worked. I also learned that having them type responses in Word first and then copying and pasting was more effective, because it forces them to do spell check, which catches things they might not catch on their own if they have someone in their group proof read.

Additionally, because of the timing of the writing test and my intern's unit, I felt like the discussion was not all that it could have been for the graduate students involved. It was rather disjointed and not as effective as I would have liked, simply due to timing. If I were to do it over again, I'd want to start earlier in the semester and try to be done with a novel before testing, and not after. I'd like to see the timing of the novel discussion be more authentic, in the sense that I'd like to have both parties stay at the same pace, because I think it makes the kids more interested in having the discussion. If I could plan out the chapters we'd read in a certain week and post those for the graduate students, that would help.

Again, overall, I was pleased with the opportunity and would like to do it again in the future, but would like to adjust things from both sides. Thank you for the chance to participate in something like this... a true authentic use of technology!

No comments: